The Power of Choice: A Christmas Message
Text: Mathew 27: 17-26, Isaiah 9:6-7
Mathew 27: 15-26. 17 Therefore, when they had gathered together, Pilate said to them, “Whom do you want me to release to you? Barabbas, or Jesus who is called Christ?” 18 For he knew that they had handed Him over because of envy. 19 While he was sitting on the judgment seat, his wife sent to him, saying, “Have nothing to do with that just Man, for I have suffered many things today in a dream because of Him.” 20 But the chief priests and elders persuaded the multitudes that they should ask for Barabbas and destroy Jesus. 21 The governor answered and said to them, “Which of the two do you want me to release to you?” They said, “Barabbas!” 22 Pilate said to them, “What then shall I do with Jesus who is called Christ?” They all said to him, “Let Him be crucified!” 23 Then the governor said, “Why, what evil has He done?”
But they cried out all the more, saying, “Let Him be crucified!” 24 When Pilate saw that he could not prevail at all, but rather that a tumult was rising, he took water and washed his hands before the multitude, saying, “I am innocent of the blood of this just Person. You see to it.” 25 And all the people answered and said, “His blood be on us and on our children.” 26 Then he released Barabbas to them; and when he had scourged Jesus, he delivered Him to be crucified.
Dearly beloved of God. I thank God for another wonderful Christmas season and more importantly that the Lord hath preserved your soul to be part of those celebrating the joy of Christmas this year. Many started with us this year but they are not here with us anymore. Many transitioned and many died. It is my prayers that you shall not die but live to declare the great works of the Lord and when the time allotted you on earth shall expire, may you not be buried but be carried by the Angels into Abraham’s bosom in Jesus Christ name Luke 16: 22I want to use this opportunity to share with you on what I call the Power of Choice.
When we talk about choices in life, we are talking about the opportunity or privilege of choosing freely, the power to choose that is specifically granted or guaranteed. It also implies a need to choose one and reject another possibility or equally attractive alternatives or options. Our choices are usually guided by our judgment or preferences. So we are talking about the opportunity or power to pick between two or more possibilities: the opportunity or power to make a decision.
Whereas man may not be privileged to choose his biological parent, how he is born (CS or natural), date of his birth, where he was born, his gender, and perhaps the color of his skin, yet there are three things in life that every man is given the grace to choose.
- Whom you marry. You are the one who decided who you want to marry and you decide that based on whatever reasons you chose.
- What career or profession you want to go into. Unfortunately there are many people in a wrong profession today. They are becoming frustrated on a daily basis because they are not where God wanted them. I pray that if you are in a wrong profession, God in His sovereign power will relocate you in Jesus name.
- The God whom you serve. Whether it is the god of your fathers, the god of this world or the God of all the flesh. Joshua said in Joshua 24:15:“And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.”
The summary of life is that when a man made a wrong choice concerning these three things, he may end up not fulfilling his purpose. Man in his wisdom and in all carefulness may marry wrong, and a wrong marriage is as terrible as hell on earth. A wrong profession can lead to a wasted life so also is the choice of a wrong god, it leads to eternal destruction. The most important decision anyone can make in life is to choose to serve God because when you have God on your side you will be guided into the right marriage as well as into your divine profession. In 1Corinthians 15:38, the bible declared that “God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body” God knows the woman/man that will help you fulfill your destiny, he knows the one that will cause you pain and headache, he also knows the profession that can bring you enduring happiness and the ones that are just a flash in the pan. When you made God your Lord, your life shall be full of joy, happiness, and peace.
I want you to understand one thing – the choices we make today will undoubtedly determines our tomorrow and may also have generational consequences. The choices Esau, Gehazi, Saul, and Judas made affect their lives and to some great extent their lineage.
I asked, would you choose Barabbas or Jesus? I counsel you to choose Jesus. He said, I am the way, the truth, and the life” John 14:6. Meaning that anyone who is not in Him is walking in the wilderness of life, living a life of deceitfulness and hypocrisy (no truth in them), and such people though they live, they are like walking corpse. 1Timothy 5:6. Says, she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth. We must crucify the Barabbas that have taken away the ancient landmarks and cry Hosanna to Jesus for the restoration of the ancient landmarks.
As we celebrate the birth of Jesus this season, let us remember that he came to destroy the works of sin and that the hallmark of our appreciation of his sacrifice is to accept him as our Lord and personal savior and live a life free of sin. Renew your commitment to God and ask for forgiveness where you have not allowed Him to operate in your life.
I pray for you that the blood of Jesus shall not be shed in vain over your life. Choose Jesus today and live.
- Power to mortify the deeds of the flesh fall upon my life in Jesus name
- Altars of iniquity in my heart, your time is up, catch fire in the name of Jesus Christ
- By the power in the blood of Jesus the devil will not harvest my soul
- I shall not become history when still alive in the name of Jesus Christ
- By the power in the blood of Jesus, my glory shall not be turned to shame in the name of Jesus
- Authority of darkness assigned to cause me to backslide die in the name of Jesus Christ
- Basket of darkness placed upon my life catch fire.